Friday, April 8, 2016

Week 11 in Review

     Another week down in Marketing! 

     We had quite the week this week.  We are no longer working out of the book.  We've gotten everything out of it that we could and it's time to move on.  From now on these blogs won't be so book heavy and I now have to start connecting my newly acquired marketing knowledge to the outside world.  This Tuesday we had to present our concept maps.  Because we no longer are using the textbook, this concept map had to do with a previous chapter and applying it to the outside world.  I must have missed the memo on that because I just did a regular concept map like the last few.  What I should have done was apply the marketing topics to last week's shark Tank episode on Pork Barrel BBQ.  But I didn't and that it is that.  We did our usual gallery walk and then started class.  We talked a lot on promotion Tuesday.  I learned that attitude is important.  Attitudes are made up of a set of beliefs.  These are beliefs an individual holds and your evaluation of those beliefs makes up your attitude.  Companies look to change your attitude.  They do this through persuasion.  Persuasion is changing a person's evaluation of a belief by adding a new on or taking one away.  To start, we have an attitude towards a certain brand or product.  Our attitude and social norms play into whether we have any behavioral intent.  Behavioral intent would be our intent to purchase said product.  The price and location of the product also play into our behavioral intent.  If we have a positive attitude towards the product or brand, we will have a positive behavioral intent which means we will exhibit a positive behavior and buy the product.  If our attitude is negative, we have a much higher chance of not buying that product as we will have a negative behavioral intent towards buying the product.  An example of this would be Apple products.  I have a positive attitude when it comes to their products.  I would buy this product because I already have a positive attitude towards their brand/ products.  If I had a negative attitude towards Apple, they could try and persuade me and change my attitude of Apple.  They could do this through things such as ads that show the positives of buying Apple products.  Although it is important to remember just because we have intent to buy something, does not mean we are going to buy it.  At the end of the class, we presented our posters for Pork Barrel BBQ.  Matt and I went with a simple approach for a poster.  We had a push strategy so we had to make the consumers interested so we can push our product through the market.  We suggested in the poster that people should try the sauce and played on the Patriotism that comes with Pork Barrel BBQ products by adding an Uncle Sam vibe to the mascot.

     Thursday was a bit slower than Tuesday.  We had to take an assessment on the 4 P's of marketing.  Every marketing 200 class has to take this assessment and we were no exception.  I did not find the quiz to be particularly hard, but I still felt challenged.  I felt like I didn't write enough for certain parts of it but we'll have to see when I get it back.  The assessment took up a majority of the class time.  and we did not have much time left.  Once everyone finished, we started talking about the simulation we are starting this week.  We had a worksheet with the 5 C's on it that we filled out using the simulation briefing.  Once we finished talking about that, we got a template to help us with our proof of market paper that is due next Thursday.  I found it to be very helpful and hopefully we can get the paper done in a quick manner of time!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that you did a "normal" concept map because that's what I did too! Oh well. I like your example of the brand Apple and how they can persuade someone to buy Apple products through positive advertising! That happened to me with the iPhone. When all my friends started getting the iPhone, I told myself that I didn't want one because I already had an iPod. But through advertisements and hearing all about how good it was through my friends, I finally caved and got one. And I love it! I also felt challenged with the assessment on Thursday - I too felt like I didn't write enough. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog. This is the first time I've read your blog and from now on I will definitely be coming back to it more often. I agree with what you said about the 4 p's assessment. I too felt challenged I also felt confident about the concepts we have learned. I personally like the assessment because it made me use the tools I have learned on my own and show my thay I have a food understanding of what the 4 p's are!

    ReplyDelete